I was severely mauled by my daughter’s pit bull

Name: A Weisel
Victim: Adult
Location: Apartment, Indiana
Year of attack: 2021

Tell us about the attack

I went to my daughter’s apartment to take the her 90 lb. (40 kg) pit bull out and give it food/water for the third time that day. Everything had been fine, I checked everything, gave him a treat, kissed the top of his head and told him he was being a good boy.

I then turned on the light, and squatted next to him in the hall to straighten the rug. Without a sign or noise, he lunged for my right arm and ripped it down to the bone. I nearly passed out and was sitting down with my legs out when I realized he wasn’t going to stop. I took a deep breath and decided that since I was right handed that I’d hold out my left arm. I knew since I was on the floor and he was blocking the door that it was my only chance at surviving. He snapped it in one bite and continued tugging and thrashing even after I made it to my feet.

The near 30 minute ordeal was heard long before help came. The neighbor that called was apparently upset by the noise and called in a noise complaint. So when police arrived, there was no ambulance with them. The three officers carried me down three flights of stairs and sat me on the ground outside to wait. I was sat up with one of the officer’s knee at my back for support. I recall them making statements about my blood on them. I felt the need to assure them that I didn’t have any disease. They asked questions; I answered all of them clearly. When the ambulance arrived, they gave me narcan despite my yelling and declaring I wasn’t on drugs, to just please help. I then heard them call for fentanyl, to which I also exclaimed that I didn’t want or need it. They didn’t listen and they didn’t care.

How has your life changed as a result of the attack?
I have lost some use of my right hand and arm. My left hand and part of my arm have been amputated. I have had six surgeries and I believe that I’ve reached maximum improvement. The doctors attempted to reattach my left hand by way of donor vessels from my left leg but it didn’t work. I got a DVT in my groin not long after leaving the hospital so now I’ll be on blood thinners for life. I don’t leave the house very often. I’m ashamed of my appearance. Of all the people that were supportive and caring in the first month after I was released from the hospital, there’s no one left but my husband. I have not seen anyone for my mental health because I don’t want medication and I fear the stigma attached to mental illnesses.

Legal Consequences
The pit bull was collected by animal control and euthanized.

What would you like people to know as a result of your attack?

None of my story has been heard until now. No one seemed to care.